Why OnePlus One?
- 3100 mAh Battery
- 3GB RAM
- Quad-core 2.5 GHz Krait 400 Processor
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 Chipset
- $350 for 64GB model
Full configuration available at GSM Arena.
How to get One?
You need an invite. Early supporters and active
spammer members on oneplus forum receive shareable invites. You can also buy one at any grey market. OnePlus is also having another preorder on 17th Nov, so you can try your luck that morning.
Issues and Fixes
Clearly the device is the-android-to-have and a customizable beast. Forums make it clear that it has lots of issues. Obviously you may have one, more or none of these issues.
While yellow band is a hardware issue and in that case device needs to be replaced with an RMA. Most of the other issues are software based and can be fixed with stable version of ROM. Many users including me experienced fix even with re-flashing the same ROM, but i recommend going with a stable release.
Note: I fixed my Muffled Sound issue, by simply removing a call recorder app, which was probably malfunctioning in custom ROMs.
“..The technical process of rooting or unlocking the bootloader does not void the warranty of the OnePlus One..” . Warranty and Repair FAQ
Unlock Bootloader, Install Custom Recovery and Root
The official guide is the way to go. There are toolkits available on XDA Forum, but they increase chances of soft bricking your device, which voids warranty. Its always better to understand the process and do it manually. Also you do not really need to root the device for flashing new ROM, unless explicitly mentioned. Also most of the custom ROMs are pre-rooted as well.
Why rooting? Well you can have an ad-free android.
Choosing the Ideal ROM
OnePlus One comes with a custom Cyanogenmod CM 11S (XNPH38R) ROM. CM11S is a custom version of the Cyanogenmod ROM for OnePlus One, while CM11 is the standard version. Although OTA is now available upgrading it to Android 5.02. Flashing / Upgrading to any of below versions is same as the official guide linked above.
- 4.4.4 KitKat AOSP – Official release by OnePlus One Team. Basically your safest bet. 100% pure Android feel. Light weight and bug free. But no CM features.
- 4.4.4 CM11s XNPH38R Rooted – Most recent OTA update, just with pre-rooted ROM. As i mentioned earlier, sometimes reflashing same ROM also fixes most of the issues. Gapps included.
- 4.4.4 CM11 – Original CM development. Milestone 11 (cm-11-20141008-SNAPSHOT-M11-bacon.zip) would be be great to start with.
- 5.0.2 OxygenOS – Official release by OnePlus One Team. Pretty decent and stable lollipop ROM.
- 5.0.2 CM12S – Original CM development. The standard native CM12 ROM customized for OnePlus One.
Caution: When flashing lollipop over any existing kitkat rom, flash a CM12 nightly first, followed by other ROM. This is simply flash a compatible kernel for lollipop, making it safer against issues such as boot loop.
There are also several original development (even for Android 5.x Lollipop)
- Paranoid Android – Personal Favorite. Enhancing the already existing beauty of Android and following the same design philosophies. Great Speed and Design like Nexus 6.
- MIUI ROM – Famous for iOS-similar interface. Prefer developer ROM for more stability over ported ROM.
- SimKat – The main goal is to offer users a slimmed down but still feature rich alternative to other android operating systems. Usually dark.
Flashing new ROMs are easy and procedure is included in the official guide (“Flash a custom rom” section ). You can flash the ROM zip file using custom recovery directly. Unless specified that device must be rooted, in such a case, gain root access first using SU binaries or first flashing a rooted ROM. Few custom ROMs including MIUI will restore their own stock recovery over old one everyone you reboot. In that case use app like Flashify to flash custom recovery and directly boot into it.
Google Apps (Gapps) Package
You will also need Google Apps (Gapps) package to be flashed after the ROM. While this Gapps is suitable for most variants, there are slimmed down versions (Android 5.x,
Android 4.x PA thread has been removed) which you might want to consider. I recommend the Mini Modular package from previous link.